Advisorheads Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Introductions > Greenhorn Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New and looking for advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2017 at 11:01am
Usually you get a second attempt at the 7 but only 1 attempt at the 66. I'm sure there are exceptions
Yeti View Drop Down
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yeti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2017 at 11:15am
Fitness- I really appreciate the candor. Seriously. When I re-read my comments I understand how it comes off. I agree that I'm my own worst enemy. I also guess I assumed more of a structured training program.

DHK- I also appreciate your comments and support.

I will get back to books and get back to the grind. I need to trust the process.

Thanks guys!
Fitness1983 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitness1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2017 at 11:23am
No problem.

Last piece of advice: listen/watch those TC lectures until you have them damn near memorized. Check-mark, highlight! Check-mark highlight!!
missionshooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missionshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2017 at 11:32am
Trust the process Brah.

Fill up the glass with that Green drank and take a swig.   
auburntigers001 View Drop Down
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auburntigers001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2017 at 8:23am
Originally posted by Yeti Yeti wrote:

My biggest question is: I feel like I'm not learning much and I'm starting to question EDJ and their practices/reputation. During the interview process I emphasized that I had zero financial experience and I need to be trained. It feels like they aren't doing any training (besides handing me a book and saying to call if I have questions), but I don't see how I will be prepared to talk with clients after a week of KYC.

I'm new with EJ as well. EJ is awarded year after year on their training program. I'm not sure you'll be able to find a better place for newcomers in this industry. Are you going through the FACD program? I think it's awesome that they are giving you a third chance for the 66. I've heard that most people get cut after the second try, some even after the first attempt. 
B24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2017 at 9:29am
Originally posted by auburntigers001 auburntigers001 wrote:

My biggest question is: I feel like I'm not learning much and I'm starting to question EDJ and their practices/reputation. During the interview process I emphasized that I had zero financial experience and I need to be trained. It feels like they aren't doing any training (besides handing me a book and saying to call if I have questions), but I don't see how I will be prepared to talk with clients after a week of KYC.

I'm new with EJ as well. EJ is awarded year after year on their training program. I'm not sure you'll be able to find a better place for newcomers in this industry. Are you going through the FACD program? I think it's awesome that they are giving you a third chance for the 66. I've heard that most people get cut after the second try, some even after the first attempt. 

To both of you: Jones is awarded for their SALES training, not their financial training.

There are no firms out there who will train you on any aspect of finance (other than informally). That is what school and certification programs are for.

Start with the AAMS (which gives a basic overview of the major aspects of financial planning), and expand from there. But don't get too wrapped up in lacking knowledge. You need to bring in AUM, ASAP.

Spend your evenings reading everything you can. But not stupid shit like Money magazine (finance rag writers are journalists, NOT finance experts). Read books on finance from reputable sources.
"If Bellicheat pulls that rabbit out of his a$$ with this kid at quarterback, I'll personally kiss his ring." - Sporsfreak, 09/20/16

"Jags/Vikes Super Bowl. Write it down" - Sportsfreak 01/19/18
auburntigers001 View Drop Down
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auburntigers001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2017 at 9:39am
Originally posted by B24 B24 wrote:

Originally posted by auburntigers001 auburntigers001 wrote:

To both of you: Jones is awarded for their SALES training, not their financial training.

There are no firms out there who will train you on any aspect of finance (other than informally). That is what school and certification programs are for.

Start with the AAMS (which gives a basic overview of the major aspects of financial planning), and expand from there. But don't get too wrapped up in lacking knowledge. You need to bring in AUM, ASAP.

Spend your evenings reading everything you can. But not stupid shit like Money magazine (finance rag writers are journalists, NOT finance experts). Read books on finance from reputable sources.

Thank you. Do you have any good recommendations for books on finance to start out with? 
Side note: I'm looking forward to Cooks doing work this year under the GOAT! Pats are looking pretty stout this year.Beer
Yeti View Drop Down
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yeti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2017 at 8:08pm
Hey All,

Just wanted to send an update... I passed my S66 and I'm moving on with the EJ training. I also turned down a position at Mass Mutual but did meet with an independent planner that offered to hire/mentor me if I ever wanted to leave EJ.

I also looking into a couple CFP programs and I plan on starting down that path later this summer. Overall, I'm positive about the outlook. As someone said earlier... I was in my own head too much. Getting the licenses out of the way has been a huge relief and burden lifted off my shoulders.

I'm looking forward to completing the rest of the training and finally working with clients. Thanks again for all the support and advice!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2017 at 9:01pm
Congrats. Chill on the CFP for a bit and let's see if you can sell
luvindy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2017 at 9:57am
Yeah you don't have any clients yet, but good luck fighting the battle. 

Edited by luvindy - May/24/2017 at 9:57am
8/31/12,Sportsfreak:
"If Barak wins this election, or appears to be clearly winning, we are all fucked. Market will tank big time."
Dow 13,090 S&P 1406
5/23/13 UC:Dow 20k before 20% crrectn Dow 15,
fortwaltonfrank View Drop Down
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fortwaltonfrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2017 at 11:38am
When you relocated for training with EDJ what was their housing situation? Did they have housing for you or were you required to find your own place? Also if they provided housing what did it cost you?

MrGreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrGreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2017 at 2:55pm

Hello,

I'm new to the industry after 10 years of Active Duty military. I was recruited by Edward Jones and I'm grateful for the opportunity. I'm still in the training pipeline and I passed the S7 and Insurance License. However, I'm on my 3rd attempt for S66. Again, grateful for multiple chances to pass as I understand not everyone gets that.

I've also been seeing a lot of negative reviews of EDJ online and it makes me sick. I really developed a passion to help clients and I really want to learn how to do that.

Questions:
1) What is you opinion of EDJ?
2) If I decide EDJ isn't for me, what firms would offer be better training and the ability to truly help clients? (Not just pedal products and charge high fees)
3) Can I be marketable to other firms with the S7 and Insurance License (despite not financial degree/background)?

Thanks in advance and Inlook forward to searching the forums more.

My take on the answers.

1. It's not as awesome as those employed by EJ think it is, it is also not as bad as those not employed by EJ think it is.
  • They are limited on some client options (like an earlier discussion about not being able to sell Jackson annuities).
  • There are some good advisors and bad advisors, just like anywhere.

2. I think EJ training is good as any for someone starting out. They teach you how to market yourself which is something you've got to learn to do unless you are a junior advisor under the mentorship with a veteran advisor. This does exist, but veteran FAs are very choosey about who they pick and for very good reason, they need to trust the person that they are going to trust their clients to.

3. Yes. You can get an assortment of home office jobs with just the 7 but with the direction the industry is going most firms will likely want you to have the 66 if you are going to be client facing or have a book.  You mentioned not wanting to pedal products and take a more holistic approach, well the series 66 is what you are going to need to do this at most financial firms.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic