Advisorheads Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Introductions > Greenhorn Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brand New Here

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PracticalGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brand New Here
    Posted: Jun/23/2017 at 11:32pm
I am a 56 year old unlicensed career changer with substantial sales experience (retail sales, inside sales, outside sales) but no experience in the insurance or financial services industry. I am currently in various stages of the interviewing process with AXA, New York Life, MassMutual, Prudential Financial, Northwestern Mutual and Horace Mann. Have already been offered a New Agency opportunity with Farmers and Goosehead Insurance and a new Agent position at American National. Looking for advice of any kind and I would appreciate whatever feedback that you can provide. Objectively speaking, how should I be viewing these various opportunities? Thank you in advance for your responses!
Iamlegend View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iamlegend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2017 at 9:04am
Do you want to be mainly focused on investments or insurance?
If you want to focus on investments, you are interviewing with the wrong companies.
Try Edward Jones.
SometimesNowhere View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SometimesNowhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2017 at 9:17am
Try selling vacuum cleaners instead, failure.
overUnder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote overUnder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2017 at 9:34am
Step 1. Apply to Edward Jones at the encouragement of this forum.
Step 2. Be super excited and tell everyone here how you are the next Judge and going to do a 500 day war.
Step 3. Get beat up on this forum for being at Jones until you question everything and feel like a loser
Step 4. Take 10 million of your 25 million dollar mostly inherited book of business & go independent based on this forum
Step 5. Listen to RIAs on this forum about how Indy BDs are raping you on fees and regulations
Step 6. Go RIA and complain about how you lose clients to Edward Jones and how stupid these clients are for not working with you despite all your amazing new tools and incredible tactical market strategy and high end service model including regular Facebook postings about your local sports team that garners a ton of unrelated likes which leads to no real business.

It's the circle of Advisorheads. Welcome aboard.

Edited by overUnder - Jun/24/2017 at 9:36am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2017 at 9:56am

Edited by bc2051 - Jun/24/2017 at 9:56am
Iamlegend View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iamlegend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2017 at 10:11am
Originally posted by overUnder overUnder wrote:

Step 2. Be super excited and tell everyone here how you are the next Judge and going to do a 500 day war.
Step 3. Get beat up on this forum for being at Jones until you question everything and feel like a loser
Step 4. Take 10 million of your 25 million dollar mostly inherited book of business & go independent based on this forum
Step 5. Listen to RIAs on this forum about how Indy BDs are raping you on fees and regulations
Step 6. Go RIA and complain about how you lose clients to Edward Jones and how stupid these clients are for not working with you despite all your amazing new tools and incredible tactical market strategy and high end service model including regular Facebook postings about your local sports team that garners a ton of unrelated likes which leads to no real business.

You forgot step 6. Never reveal your AUM or T12 because as a RIA you are too awesome to have the need to share.
TheWolf22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheWolf22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2017 at 10:25am
Originally posted by overUnder overUnder wrote:

Couldn't have said it better myself.
PracticalGuy View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PracticalGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2017 at 10:29am
I would like to be more focused on the insurance aspect but have the opportunity to offer products that were more financial in nature.
missionshooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missionshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2017 at 10:34am
My advice: PM   DHK
overUnder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote overUnder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2017 at 10:36am
Why? At most insurance places you will be stuck selling proprietary products and never be able to leave. Most pay little to no salary at all. You can sell almost all lines of insurance products at a broker dealer.

Benefits of insurance first is simply higher commission payout but when you weigh in lack of salary and limited licensing on the securities side to be truly wholistic, it's not worth it in my opinion. Also almost all of those places have you focus on family and friends out the gate which in my opinion is a mistake.

Insurance companies will always hire you after a BD stint, but not always the other way around.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2017 at 11:06am
Originally posted by missionshooter missionshooter wrote:

My advice: PM   DHK

Thank you, but he's already been over here and I did pretty well to give him a little more focus from this first thread:
luvindy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2017 at 11:35am
In before Big Cheese praises Wolf.

8/31/12,Sportsfreak:
"If Barak wins this election, or appears to be clearly winning, we are all fucked. Market will tank big time."
Dow 13,090 S&P 1406
5/23/13 UC:Dow 20k before 20% crrectn Dow 15,
Fidelio View Drop Down
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fidelio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2017 at 10:28pm
Do more research on the industry before making a decision. All the companies you mentioned are kinda bottom tier companies. 
PracticalGuy View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PracticalGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2017 at 1:02am
I have narrowed my choices to Mass, NYL and Guardian who have all extended offers to me.
PEACH_cm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PEACH_cm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2017 at 6:48am
Originally posted by PracticalGuy PracticalGuy wrote:

I have narrowed my choices to Mass, NYL and Guardian who have all extended offers to me.
they extend offers to anyone that has a pulse and can fog a mirror..... literally.
Jmhalvo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmhalvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2017 at 7:02am

Ed Jones would be WAY better- not even close
missionshooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missionshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2017 at 10:42am
Originally posted by PEACH_cm PEACH_cm wrote:

they extend offers to anyone that has a pulse and can fog a mirror..... literally.

I know that's right!   I would like to hear more about these "offers" lol .
Ironman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2017 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by missionshooter missionshooter wrote:

Originally posted by PEACH_cm PEACH_cm wrote:

I know that's right!   I would like to hear more about these "offers" lol .

You pay:

• To get insurance licensed
  • To get securities licensed
  • For your desk space
  • For use of the copier

You get:

• The right to be pushed to sell proprietary products

Edited by Ironman - Jul/27/2017 at 9:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic