Advisorheads Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Introductions > Greenhorn Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aspiring Advisor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aspiring Advisor
    Posted: Jul/31/2017 at 10:25pm
Hello all,

Have made the decision to pursue a career in financial planning. I intend to join the training program at a broker-dealer and go from there. 

But, I have about a year before I can make the jump. So until then I'm learning everything I can about succeeding in this industry. 

Any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks

- Ben 
luvindy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2017 at 11:06pm
You're going to do well. I can feel it.

8/31/12,Sportsfreak:
"If Barak wins this election, or appears to be clearly winning, we are all fucked. Market will tank big time."
Dow 13,090 S&P 1406
5/23/13 UC:Dow 20k before 20% crrectn Dow 15,
RIArules View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RIArules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2017 at 12:05am
Love the attitude
Is it too late to exhume Ken Starr?
brome90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brome90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2017 at 9:17am
At least you're doing this a year prior to joining, so that's good.

Find the 500 day war thread by TheWolf and read that.
benrose View Drop Down
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2017 at 9:34am
Thanks for the kind words.

I initially read 500 Day War and some other useful stuff on WealthManagement.com, which led me to look at other forums, which is how I got here. 

I have some experience with cold calling/knocking from several years selling my freelance marketing services to small biz owners. I also have a background in advertising so pretty familiar with how to communicate a value proposition. 

I believe my biggest learning curve will be the investment products and strategies themselves. 

I have an idea to tap my professional network from my time working at ad agencies. Any thoughts on this strategy, dos/don'ts from career changers who have tried?

Thanks

Ben 
B24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2017 at 9:53am
Originally posted by benrose benrose wrote:

I have some experience with cold calling/knocking from several years selling my freelance marketing services to small biz owners. I also have a background in advertising so pretty familiar with how to communicate a value proposition. 

Yup, here it comes boys.

Next post..."So, what are your biggest frustrations is a financial advisor? What kind of software could you use...."  LOL
"If Bellicheat pulls that rabbit out of his a$$ with this kid at quarterback, I'll personally kiss his ring." - Sporsfreak, 09/20/16

"Jags/Vikes Super Bowl. Write it down" - Sportsfreak 01/19/18
advisorman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote advisorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2017 at 1:49pm
Read all water cooler posts. It's where the real knowledge lies...
King of sarcasm and speling
Iamlegend View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iamlegend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2017 at 2:43pm

Thanks for the kind words.

I initially read 500 Day War and some other useful stuff on WealthManagement.com, which led me to look at other forums, which is how I got here. 

I believe my biggest learning curve will be the investment products and strategies themselves. 

I have an idea to tap my professional network from my time working at ad agencies. Any thoughts on this strategy, dos/don'ts from career changers who have tried?

Thanks

Ben 

Don't count too much on people you knew from a prior career. It will take some time for them to trust you in a new career.
Jmhalvo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmhalvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2017 at 9:06pm
"Sales" is where it's at...gotta have clients. You'll figure out the rest. Good luck.
benrose View Drop Down
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2017 at 11:30pm
Here's a specific question for you guys. 

You take a prospect to one on one dinner. Will the firm pick up the tab? Or is that the advisor's responsibility? 

SometimesNowhere View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SometimesNowhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2017 at 7:10am

Hello all,

Have made the decision to pursue a career in financial planning. I intend to join the training program at a broker-dealer and go from there. 

But, I have about a year before I can make the jump. So until then I'm learning everything I can about succeeding in this industry. 

Any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks

- Ben 

My advice is that you've already failed. Find something else to do with your time.
PEACH_cm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PEACH_cm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2017 at 7:11am

You take a prospect to one on one dinner. Will the firm pick up the tab? Or is that the advisor's responsibility? 

the only firm that picks up the tab is the one you own. If this is your first question then you should stay where you are now. Unless you like the feeling of failure and losing everything you have.
Jmhalvo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmhalvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2017 at 7:30am
You're gonna catch hell on here for a question like that, because a 50.00 tab is so totally irrelevant and meaningless. It's a very tough business and you'll need full commitment, so whether you get reimbursed matters zero. I know your just curious but such a question sounds like what a salaried back-office lifer would care about. An entrepreneur doesn't care about such things AT ALL.
Iamlegend View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iamlegend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2017 at 9:03am

It depends what you work out with your manager and if they give you marketing money. If they won't pay for it you can usually put money in a pre-tax account and at least save the tax $$ on it.
benrose View Drop Down
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2017 at 9:16am
That makes sense. I know it's minutia, just thinking ahead to how much cash I should have on hand for these type of expenses. Client dinners at my salaried back office lifer job can be $500+ for 3 people if it's a nice restaurant. 
Macduff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macduff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2017 at 9:33am

That makes sense. I know it's minutia, just thinking ahead to how much cash I should have on hand for these type of expenses. Client dinners at my salaried back office lifer job can be $500+ for 3 people if it's a nice restaurant. 

It all depends on the situation. I wouldn't consider that average by any means though. I wouldn't take many (maybe any) of my clients out to a meal like that.

Maybe I'm just cheap but I generally try to take my clients and prospects to lunch because it's cheaper and fits in my schedule better.
“I was born for the storm, and a calm does not suit me.”

― Andrew Jackson
B24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2017 at 9:34am
You have to think of this career as an "investment", or a business, not a job.

If you are not willing to put significant resources towards it (including the cost of lost income) the first few years, then it's not for you.
"If Bellicheat pulls that rabbit out of his a$$ with this kid at quarterback, I'll personally kiss his ring." - Sporsfreak, 09/20/16

"Jags/Vikes Super Bowl. Write it down" - Sportsfreak 01/19/18
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2017 at 10:04am
Originally posted by B24 B24 wrote:

You have to think of this career as an "investment", or a business, not a job.

If you are not willing to put significant resources towards it (including the cost of lost income) the first few years, then it's not for you.

That said, you're not spending 500 on dinner for a client in your first few years if ever
nest View Drop Down

Tech Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2017 at 11:50am
Advertising sales means spend the company's money on golf and food until they buy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic