Advisorheads Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Introductions > Greenhorn Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Member - Wirehouse CFP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benjammin237 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member - Wirehouse CFP
    Posted: Aug/02/2017 at 10:14pm
I'm new, want to get some prospecting tips and feedback.

I'm a wirehouse advisor in a midwest metro area. Fully licensed with CFP. Been in the business 4 years, an advisor the last 2. I work on a team. I have a small equity share in the business and I lead all the financial planning, but I want to get more money.

I've been taught to market to COI's. I've had success there, in addition to joining social groups (clubs, politics, etc.) and am on committees/boards. I've had other success doing prospecting on linkedin, mainly as lead generation and begininning a relationship.

What I want to learn more on is direct marketing and bringing in the team to close deals to grow faster with me. Obviously I use my own discretion on bringing the team in on deals, but I want to grow faster.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2017 at 10:26pm
Welcome.  What's a good year for you asset wise?  I'd like to hear more about how you used linkedin
Iamlegend View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iamlegend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2017 at 10:28pm
What do you mean you have a small equity position in the team considering you are in the employee channel?
benjammin237 View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benjammin237 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2017 at 11:38pm
good year for me is 5M on my own. Our team has done 30M ths year, I've contributed 1M to that.

Year 1 was 3.5M for me.

On LinkedIn I use premium, "flirt" by visiting profiles then call/email. I try to go more targeted vs a blanket approach.
benjammin237 View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benjammin237 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2017 at 11:41pm
I'm on the last portion of my salary, it is done in 2 months, so not an employee.

What I mean by small equity portion is I have small splits (2%) on legacy business, while new team business I participate more with my other team members (5%).

If I bring in an account, I get 80%, 2 other advisors split the remaining 20%.
SometimesNowhere View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SometimesNowhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2017 at 7:00am
Originally posted by benjammin237 benjammin237 wrote:

I'm new, want to get some prospecting tips and feedback.

I'm a wirehouse advisor in a midwest metro area. Fully licensed with CFP. Been in the business 4 years, an advisor the last 2. I work on a team. I have a small equity share in the business and I lead all the financial planning, but I want to get more money.

I've been taught to market to COI's. I've had success there, in addition to joining social groups (clubs, politics, etc.) and am on committees/boards. I've had other success doing prospecting on linkedin, mainly as lead generation and begininning a relationship.

What I want to learn more on is direct marketing and bringing in the team to close deals to grow faster with me. Obviously I use my own discretion on bringing the team in on deals, but I want to grow faster.

The best advice you can get is this: you're not cut out for this. Get your resume ready.
PEACH_cm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PEACH_cm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2017 at 7:05am
Sounds like you are getting the shaft.
Iamlegend View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iamlegend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2017 at 8:52am
Originally posted by benjammin237 benjammin237 wrote:

I'm on the last portion of my salary, it is done in 2 months, so not an employee.

What I mean by small equity portion is I have small splits (2%) on legacy business, while new team business I participate more with my other team members (5%).

If I bring in an account, I get 80%, 2 other advisors split the remaining 20%.

You are an employee.
apac707 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apac707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2017 at 8:58am
can i ask how big your team is? how much production they do? 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic