Advisorheads Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Introductions > Greenhorn Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Introduction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
missionshooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missionshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Introduction
    Posted: Nov/14/2017 at 2:56pm
Hey cumslinger, didn't know you were in town...
Braedo View Drop Down
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2017 at 2:55pm
I would think that if you DID know taxes at all (my wife is a CPA and has zero interest in tax prep)  but man, that would be a sweet way to generate traffic to and advisor -  I met with a guy the other day who started his business doing tax prep, and then added investments.  he now has a fairly large staff focused on doing taxes and that constantly feeds his growing advisor practice.

Chumslinger View Drop Down
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chumslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2017 at 10:56am
Welcome
MrGreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrGreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2017 at 9:27am
Welcome to the board.

I'd have to agree with some of the others. I wouldn't quit the day job but it'd be a decent side hustle with a built in referral stream. Have a smaller book that just gradually builds throughout time.  Admittedly, I think it be tough to do both (especially with yalls tax season), but if you are one of those type of people then go for it.
Packerbacker View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Packerbacker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2017 at 7:24pm
Can anyone share what the morgan stanley digital interview is like? Any tips or advice? I'm still going back and forth between joining a smaller accounting firm and getting into tax vs starting down the FA journey...
jeriwalters View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeriwalters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2017 at 4:57am
Hello, I'm Jeri Walters new member here :)

Edited by jeriwalters - Oct/26/2017 at 4:59am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2017 at 10:33am
Not all CPAs do taxes.  He's in auditing.

That being said - go after your PFS credential and start learning the business that way while still doing your day job.  That will also be a Series 65 exempt designation so you can either join an RIA firm, or form your own.
brome90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brome90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2017 at 9:42am
I think it's relative to someone saying.. "If I could start over at high school I'd be a doctor". It doesn't make it easy - it is a grind to be in this role.

That said.. Why not just be a CPA that offers investment services? (not sure if thats been mentioned)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by RIArules RIArules wrote:

Originally posted by bc2051 bc2051 wrote:

I agree and I guess I have seen that before.  CPA with 800 clients is able to sell 100 of them annuities.  LOL 

I guess those are the only type of CPAs that talk to Jones Reps. 😂

Touche.  But in all seriousness, they are the types that don't want to talk to any advisors.  They've got the client's trust and the product.  They don't need us.
RIArules View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RIArules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 11:07pm

I agree and I guess I have seen that before.  CPA with 800 clients is able to sell 100 of them annuities.  LOL 

I guess those are the only type of CPAs that talk to Jones Reps. 😂
Is it too late to exhume Ken Starr?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 10:59pm
RIArules View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RIArules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 10:28pm
My RL was a General Partner and former CPA.

You guys are funny. There are a lot of CPAs that offer this as a part of their practice. Some that make it the focus eventually.
Is it too late to exhume Ken Starr?
Ironman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 10:06pm

Originally posted by Ironman Ironman wrote:

CPA & partner in his firm recently told me that if he had it to do over again he'd go into our business.

I’ve met a few CPAs and I can think of one who would have a shot of surviving a few years in this business

Agree. They like to look down on us but few would survive the culling in this business. So, to Packerbacker, don't quit your day job. Build a way to keep doing some kind of CPA work and simultaneously gather assets. 

Edited by Ironman - Oct/16/2017 at 10:09pm
This is a place of welcoming and you should just get the hell out. Michael G. Scott.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by Ironman Ironman wrote:

CPA & partner in his firm recently told me that if he had it to do over again he'd go into our business.

I’ve met a few CPAs and I can think of one who would have a shot of surviving a few years in this business
Ironman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 9:35pm
This is a place of welcoming and you should just get the hell out. Michael G. Scott.
Iamlegend View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iamlegend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 8:53pm

Did I miss something? The name is packerbacker, not peckerpacker

Yeah, probably missing a sense of humor.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 7:57pm
Did I miss something? The name is packerbacker, not peckerpacker
brome90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brome90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 2:15pm
hi scooby
wiredup View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiredup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 11:37am
Originally posted by RIArules RIArules wrote:

There's also a small firm in Kentucky that will offer you free coffee.

And terrible tax advice on Annuities and investments.... but the black t-shirts and wood paneling are top notch
missionshooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missionshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 11:09am
Hey PB baby!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic