Advisorheads Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Introductions > Greenhorn Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote financiallyfitNES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New
    Posted: Feb/26/2018 at 3:25pm
Tree climber turned personal trainer turned financial advisor. I work for an insurance based agency (for now) and am just starting to really find my niche and my language. 

My process for onboarding new personal training clients is exactly the same as onboarding financial planning clients. Focused 100% on a needs basis and illustrating the parallels between the two has helped show clients that I am in it to help other people and not my own wants and aspirations. I am now looking to build a business focused on serving other personal trainers and really focus as my major niche market. Any suggestions or advice warmly welcomed!
missionshooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missionshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2018 at 4:48pm
Welcome!

Before CLAB asks, How much can you deadlift?
Iamlegend View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iamlegend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2018 at 5:23pm
I would pick a better target market since I assume most personal trainers aren’t affluent.
Crimson View Drop Down
King of the Wicker People

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2018 at 5:27pm
Welcome back Scooby
Chief View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2018 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by Crimson Crimson wrote:

Welcome back Scooby
you are Scooby
"You like winning don't you?" "Saves you from having to say the word please."

Good point Chief. Iceco1d 10/30/12
Crimson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2018 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by Chief Chief wrote:

Welcome back Scooby
you are Scooby

Welcome back, Chief of the Special Olympics.
Chief View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2018 at 6:59pm

Originally posted by Chief Chief wrote:

Welcome back Scooby
you are Scooby

Welcome back, Chief of the Special Olympics.

Still not crazy
"You like winning don't you?" "Saves you from having to say the word please."

Good point Chief. Iceco1d 10/30/12
workhardplayhard View Drop Down
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workhardplayhard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2018 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Iamlegend Iamlegend wrote:

I would pick a better target market since I assume most personal trainers aren’t affluent.

You will starve if you spend your time chasing personal trainers.  Most make less than $100k.  Most think they will live to be 100 without health problems.  Most are bad business owners and are even worse with their finances. 

Talk to the people paying for personal training.  They have the assets and needs.
Crimson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2018 at 8:12pm
I agree. You're cornering the market on a segment that's probably worth a grand total of $70,000 a year in production across the entire industry. Go get a big piece of that pie.
financiallyfitNES View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote financiallyfitNES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2018 at 7:00am
my thought it starting with business owners. I assure you the gyms that are doing well, are doing very well. Their trainers (and I am talking the key employees, not the kids there as a summer gig) can make good money both from the gym and on the side. And then every single trainer I work with becomes a COI or at least advocate to the dozens of people they see everyday. Then I position myself as the advisor of the clients of the gym, hold workshops and seminars etc. 

Edited by financiallyfitNES - Feb/27/2018 at 7:05am
PEACH_cm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PEACH_cm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2018 at 8:03am
You might want to rethink that strategy as it will result in a massive failure.
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote financiallyfitNES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2018 at 8:22am
agree to disagree. An entire industry over looked and viewed as "unaffluent". Most have young families and make a decent living. Insurance needs are there. And sure, the PT may not be making the big bucks, but what does their spouse do? The PT is just the way in the door to so many situations. I've found lots of unmanaged and under insured families so far this way.

And I am by no means saying this is my only market.. I'm working businesses and the same professions everyone else is.. but targeting the PTs has less competition and higher success rate.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2018 at 8:52am
Originally posted by financiallyfitNES financiallyfitNES wrote:

agree to disagree. An entire industry over looked and viewed as "unaffluent". Most have young families and make a decent living. Insurance needs are there. And sure, the PT may not be making the big bucks, but what does their spouse do? The PT is just the way in the door to so many situations. I've found lots of unmanaged and under insured families so far this way.

And I am by no means saying this is my only market.. I'm working businesses and the same professions everyone else is.. but targeting the PTs has less competition and higher success rate.

I guess everyone can buy insurance. If that’s what you want to do, have at it. Most of us here prefer to manage money for a fee year after year as opposed to finding another person to sell a policy to. Two ways to “skin a cat” so when you get tired of chasing people with term policies at a gym and you’re open to advice, come back
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote financiallyfitNES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2018 at 8:59am
ha I don't do much term.. much more WL and DI. Here is my example for this week:

PT, she makes 60k a year, had no idea what her benefits were or what they meant and took a meeting. So I meet with her and her husband. Her husband is at 150k a year as an engineer at 34 years old and moving through the ranks quickly. New home, 2 kids, and good disposable income with no idea what to do...

Again- all I'm saying is it is a door opener leading to some good success. And I've only been doing this 7 months, so I am still figuring it out.
B24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2018 at 9:01am

my thought it starting with business owners. I assure you the gyms that are doing well, are doing very well. Their trainers (and I am talking the key employees, not the kids there as a summer gig) can make good money both from the gym and on the side. And then every single trainer I work with becomes a COI or at least advocate to the dozens of people they see everyday. Then I position myself as the advisor of the clients of the gym, hold workshops and seminars etc. 

That sounds great in theory, but it just doesn't work that way. Trainers aren't giving out referrals to their clients for financial advisors. Their clients are typically wealthier and much more connected than they are, and aren't taking financial advice from them.

I'm not saying that trainers can't be a decent client. But (1) there are far too few of them for the law of large numbers to work in your favor (it's not like having 1,000 teachers as a captive audience or 5,000 employees in the same workplace of a large local employer), (2) among that demographic, most are on the younger side (under 45) and have not had a chance to accumulate wealth, (3) the majority do not make good money (though some do), and (4) they work in a rather isolated business (ie. they don't work daily in a workplace with hundreds of peers - and back to my comment above - clients are in for 30-60 minutes and out and on to the next client, and aren't taking investment advice from them).

This isn't bad as a casual, lifestyle-type prospecting method. But unless you are in L.A. or Miami or somewhere that has a lot of high-end trainers, I would not waste a lot of time or brain-power on this as a primary prospecting method.
"If Bellicheat pulls that rabbit out of his a$$ with this kid at quarterback, I'll personally kiss his ring." - Sporsfreak, 09/20/16

"Jags/Vikes Super Bowl. Write it down" - Sportsfreak 01/19/18
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote financiallyfitNES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2018 at 9:29am
appreciate the input. I'm not saying PTs are giving advice or that their clients are seeking it specifically. What I am saying is in their session with a client there is a lot of downtime for idle chit chat. As a PT I know, I am a referral source for TONS of other industries and professionals. I am connected with all the wives of the big business owners in town, the lawyers and CPAs. I've led lots of business to many of them from the connections I make in the gym. People bring up pain points with their trainers all the time. "I should really get a CPA this year because I know I'm probably missing deductions on taxes" "well mrs client, let me introduce you to CPA john that I work with." 
Last year alone I connected 5 couples to a local real estate agent I grab beers with from time to time. He sold 3 of them homes and listed for the other 2. Get a bunch trainers at various gyms on your team and you can have a decent little steady flow of prospects from them.
I also made the introduction between roofer and contractor, they now work together and roofer does 1M a year just from that 1 contractor. 
go to the gym, pull your headphones out, and talk it up. I bet youll be surprised with what you find
luvindy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2018 at 9:43am

ha I don't do much term.. much more WL and DI. Here is my example for this week:

PT, she makes 60k a year, had no idea what her benefits were or what they meant and took a meeting. So I meet with her and her husband. Her husband is at 150k a year as an engineer at 34 years old and moving through the ranks quickly. New home, 2 kids, and good disposable income with no idea what to do...

Again- all I'm saying is it is a door opener leading to some good success. And I've only been doing this 7 months, so I am still figuring it out.

Just for fun could you share what you are recommending to this couple?

8/31/12,Sportsfreak:
"If Barak wins this election, or appears to be clearly winning, we are all fucked. Market will tank big time."
Dow 13,090 S&P 1406
5/23/13 UC:Dow 20k before 20% crrectn Dow 15,
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2018 at 9:53am
Well I hope he’s as persistent as he is hardheaded. LOL
B24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2018 at 10:03am

appreciate the input. I'm not saying PTs are giving advice or that their clients are seeking it specifically. What I am saying is in their session with a client there is a lot of downtime for idle chit chat. As a PT I know, I am a referral source for TONS of other industries and professionals. I am connected with all the wives of the big business owners in town, the lawyers and CPAs. I've led lots of business to many of them from the connections I make in the gym. People bring up pain points with their trainers all the time. "I should really get a CPA this year because I know I'm probably missing deductions on taxes" "well mrs client, let me introduce you to CPA john that I work with." 
Last year alone I connected 5 couples to a local real estate agent I grab beers with from time to time. He sold 3 of them homes and listed for the other 2. Get a bunch trainers at various gyms on your team and you can have a decent little steady flow of prospects from them.
I also made the introduction between roofer and contractor, they now work together and roofer does 1M a year just from that 1 contractor. 
go to the gym, pull your headphones out, and talk it up. I bet youll be surprised with what you find

So why are you asking us for our opinions if you have already convinced yourself that this is what you need to do, and then arguing our opinions?

If you were just looking for affirmations, you should just say that at the beginning of the thread...

"Hey Guys! I am only looking for positive affirmation of the following prospecting method, so anyone that does not agree, need not comment! TIA! [insert Gen-Y emoticon]"
"If Bellicheat pulls that rabbit out of his a$$ with this kid at quarterback, I'll personally kiss his ring." - Sporsfreak, 09/20/16

"Jags/Vikes Super Bowl. Write it down" - Sportsfreak 01/19/18
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2018 at 10:14am
Now would also be a good time to point out that realtors, contractors, and roofers will also make for shitty clients
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic