Advisorheads Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Introductions > Greenhorn Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New and confused

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcfx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New and confused
    Posted: Apr/04/2018 at 7:59pm
New to financial advisory. Not new to sales. I've had a successful career in sales thus far.

I'm not happy where I am and I've always wanted to be a financial advisor, so I'm going to do it.

I'm between two options:

Small firm: get sponsored for my license, start as an advisor, get a couple hundred orphaned clients. Firm has roughly 15 advisors and 5000 clients in total and are backed by a great b/d.
OR
Merrill Lynch: start as a client associate, get registered, work for a few years to learn the ropes, and move up or on when the time comes.

What do you think is a better start? My gut instinct says to start off with the small firm, but my personal financial advisor says that the Merrill lynch experience would be invaluable.
missionshooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missionshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2018 at 8:12pm
Braedo View Drop Down
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2018 at 8:23pm
option 1, no brainer
marcfx View Drop Down
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcfx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2018 at 8:33pm
Braedo: Thanks, that's what I thought too.

Missionshooter: congrats on being first! Not sure if you also meant that one was the better option

Edited by marcfx - Apr/04/2018 at 8:50pm
B24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2018 at 9:01pm
"my personal financial advisor says that the Merrill lynch experience would be invaluable."

Really? Ask APAC about his experience.

"If Bellicheat pulls that rabbit out of his a$$ with this kid at quarterback, I'll personally kiss his ring." - Sporsfreak, 09/20/16

"Jags/Vikes Super Bowl. Write it down" - Sportsfreak 01/19/18
luvindy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2018 at 9:44pm
Your personal financial advisor is hoping you will fail so he can pike your accounts. He's probably a piker himself. Fuck him and his bad advice.

Option 1.

/end thread

8/31/12,Sportsfreak:
"If Barak wins this election, or appears to be clearly winning, we are all fucked. Market will tank big time."
Dow 13,090 S&P 1406
5/23/13 UC:Dow 20k before 20% crrectn Dow 15,
Moraen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Resident Sage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moraen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2018 at 9:25am
Option 1.  No doubt about it. 
I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all. - General James Mattis

Fiduciary as Fuck - iMo
SometimesNowhere View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SometimesNowhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2018 at 9:42am
Hidden option #3 - go back to your old sales job. You're clearly not cut out for this.
luvindy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2018 at 11:03am
Originally posted by SometimesNowhere SometimesNowhere wrote:

Hidden option #3 - go back to your old sales job. You're clearly not cut out for this.

Well said.
8/31/12,Sportsfreak:
"If Barak wins this election, or appears to be clearly winning, we are all fucked. Market will tank big time."
Dow 13,090 S&P 1406
5/23/13 UC:Dow 20k before 20% crrectn Dow 15,
marcfx View Drop Down
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcfx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2018 at 11:16am
That's a possibility too, but I'll never know if I don't try. My current sales job is selling life and annuities but it's definitely the opposite of comprehensive financial planning.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2018 at 11:30am
Failing from ML means other opportunities - strangely enough.  

Want to go work for a bank or CU as an advisor?  They'll LOVE that you were with ML.
marcfx View Drop Down
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcfx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2018 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by D.H.K. D.H.K. wrote:

Failing from ML means other opportunities - strangely enough.  

Want to go work for a bank or CU as an advisor?  They'll LOVE that you were with ML.

DHK, I know that would apply to PMD opportunities, but they don't do those in my area anymore. This would be the first step to joining a team of FAs, and I wouldn't do anything advisory related. It's a client service position.

I wouldn't be an advisor for at least 3 years.

Edited by marcfx - Apr/05/2018 at 12:09pm
UserNamey View Drop Down
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UserNamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2018 at 1:58pm
Welcome!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic