Advisorheads Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Introductions > Greenhorn Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do I NEED Licenses/Certifications?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenfish77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do I NEED Licenses/Certifications?
    Posted: May/13/2018 at 11:06pm
I'll soon be graduating with a bachelor's degree in economics. I don't want to rely on being a financial/investment advisor as my main job. Instead, I want to have normal day job and be a independent financial/investment advisor on the side to see if I have what it takes to go full time or not. Can I do this with just a degree or do I NEED to have licenses and certifications? I don't mean NEED them to get clients, I mean do I legally need them or not?

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 12:32am
You're gonna fail.  You've already failed in your own mind and are even afraid of spending a few hundred dollars on getting licenses.

Quit now.  Don't waste your time.

Yes, you LEGALLY need insurance and securities licenses if you want to be compensated for selling and representing insurance and securities.

Your degree... is NOT a ******* license.  A license means that you are legally held accountable and liable for your actions and recommendations.  Your degree doesn't do that.

Damn stupid millenials.
greenfish77 View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenfish77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 1:05am
I should have phrased my question differently. I have no problem paying a few hundred or even a few thousand dollars, signing some legal forms and buying insurance. What I'm asking is whether I need to be a certified financial planner or the like and pass special tests to start working. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 1:08am
You need training.  You don't need to pass a certification, but you do need training of some kind.
advisorman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote advisorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 7:14am
Sounds like you’re smart
Enough to advertise on Craigslist and be successful
King of sarcasm and speling
PEACH_cm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PEACH_cm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 8:49am
You need a license (or licenses) depending in how you want to run you practice. With that said, you will fail doing this as a side hustle straight out of school. News flash: your economics degree does not mean shit when it comes to learning this industry. Either dive in head first with a firm that can get you licenced and provide some form of training/mentorship or quit dreaming now.

Odds say you will fail doing this full time (60 hrs a week)-- what makes you think you can actually be successful?
missionshooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missionshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 10:40am
Enterprise is hiring
Army13A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Army13A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 11:03am
Originally posted by PEACH_cm PEACH_cm wrote:

You need a license (or licenses) depending in how you want to run you practice. With that said, you will fail doing this as a side hustle straight out of school. News flash: your economics degree does not mean shit when it comes to learning this industry. Either dive in head first with a firm that can get you licenced and provide some form of training/mentorship or quit dreaming now.

Odds say you will fail doing this full time (60 hrs a week)-- what makes you think you can actually be successful?

This. People have a hard time trusting Advisors with years of experience and working fulltime, I don’t think it’s possible to side-hustle this career.
RIArules View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RIArules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 11:11am
Primerica.

You’re welcome.
Is it too late to exhume Ken Starr?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 11:24am
luvindy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 11:54am
I hate this thread.
8/31/12,Sportsfreak:
"If Barak wins this election, or appears to be clearly winning, we are all fucked. Market will tank big time."
Dow 13,090 S&P 1406
5/23/13 UC:Dow 20k before 20% crrectn Dow 15,
Kriegerr89 View Drop Down
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kriegerr89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2018 at 1:14pm
I’m new to the boards here but I am curious as to why there seems to be so much animosity towards millennials.
TheStupidInvestor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheStupidInvestor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2018 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Kriegerr89 Kriegerr89 wrote:

I’m new to the boards here but I am curious as to why there seems to be so much animosity towards millennials.

because the majority of us millennials have an entitlement mentality. we want to be given value immediately before we provide/offer any value of our own. We come off a lot of the time as know it alls. It pisses people off, especially some of the vets in the industry. I don't blame them. 

We also get a few green people come on the forum at least once a week, only to declare how eager and ambitious they are but their actions to achieve those ambitions are not even in the same universe. (except for Wolf and maybe Fitness) we see people come and go here all the time. 

Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kriegerr89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2018 at 1:41pm
I get that. The general gripe about the millenials. I agree that for the most part the whole generation is super annoying. It is actually one of the reasons for wanting to be an advisor. Try and change the mentality of instant gratification to one of planning and forethought.

Either way, thanks for the reply. Hopefully i can work to break the cycle of people giving millenials a bad name.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2018 at 1:51pm
Millenials tend to look for short-cuts like paying someone in an admin role in a hospital to get them doctor clients
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kriegerr89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2018 at 1:56pm
Hey, I’m here to learn.

Why not ask questions of the people who have been here longer?

And if that tactic is totally off base then I want to know so I can act accordingly. It just seems like an extension of targeted marketing to me, Win win situation.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2018 at 2:02pm
Most here have learned the easiest way to have a steady pipeline of new clients is by posting ads on Craigslist, but don’t be lazy like most millennials. You’ll need 10-12 email addresses MINIMUM, so you can always refresh your ads and keep them near the top. Triple or quadruple that number if you’re in a major metro area
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kriegerr89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2018 at 2:13pm
Craigslist huh?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2018 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Kriegerr89 Kriegerr89 wrote:

Because 97% of you are douchebags?

PS - I am one...barely. I’m so ashamed.

Learn how to interact outside of Snapchat. That’s a good start.
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kriegerr89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2018 at 2:52pm
I have never, nor will I ever have a Snapchat. I agree with you in the fact that I am ashamed to be grouped with such an annoying bunch of people. Not all are horrible but a fair amount are just the worst.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic