Advisorheads Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Introductions > Greenhorn Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Considering Career Switch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueorange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Considering Career Switch
    Posted: Jun/29/2019 at 12:35pm
Hello, I have many years in the Real Estate and Mortgage Sales industries.  I have been recruited by EJ and I'm trying to figure out if it would be the right move for me.  I've always done all my own financial planning/investing and I find it very interesting and I think something I could be passionate about, as I used to be about Real Estate.  I know it is almost all sales in the beginning, but am I naive to think that I would be helping people and learning a lot about the industry? I look forward to learning more on this forum.
missionshooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missionshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2019 at 2:50pm
EDJ tends to "recruit" only the best. You should be proud.
Fitness1983 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fitness1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2019 at 2:57pm
I think the better question, rather than what a bunch of strangers think, is what are your main reservations in making the career change? What gives you pause. And what are you prepared to do to over come those inner concerns?
advisorman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote advisorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2019 at 4:12pm
When you fail you will go broke.
King of sarcasm and speling
Iamlegend View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Iamlegend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2019 at 4:46pm
You can truly help people along the way.
ClarenceBeeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClarenceBeeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2019 at 7:19pm
Stay where you are at. Or ahoogle this forum thoroughly before jumping in.
Good luck and good selling.
luvindy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2019 at 8:05pm
I love this thread!
8/31/12,Sportsfreak:
"If Barak wins this election, or appears to be clearly winning, we are all fucked. Market will tank big time."
Dow 13,090 S&P 1406
5/23/13 UC:Dow 20k before 20% crrectn Dow 15,
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2019 at 5:50pm
It’s sales, but with residuals. We know what we’ll make (or most of us do) without turning on the lights or selling a house
blueorange View Drop Down
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueorange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2019 at 6:44am
Originally posted by bc2051 bc2051 wrote:

It’s sales, but with residuals. We know what we’ll make (or most of us do) without turning on the lights or selling a house

Thank you bc, that is exactly what is making me consider the switch.  I hate the thought of running on this hamster wheel for 20 more years and the more I prospect, the busier I will get (on evenings and weekends) and if I ever stop, so does the music.

To answer Fitness' question...

My main reservation is having someone to answer to... but it's also kind of appealing. I've been an independent contractor for 15+ years.  I'm self motivated but have done best when I've been in a business coaching program and have had friendly competition, neither of which I have right now, though I could change positions in the industry and have it.  My current position offers no pressure but no support. So that is also what appeals to me about EJ.  Having targets I have to meet, coaching and support.  I'm very coachable and I like Kool-Aid. But the pressure scares me a little. 

For the green bloods - in general what are the worst things about EJ?  The things you wish you had known before?  There's always something.

I know, the rest of you will tell me to go fly a kite, but I appreciate the people that take the time to answer constructively.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2019 at 10:56am
Originally posted by blueorange blueorange wrote:

Thank you bc, that is exactly what is making me consider the switch.  I hate the thought of running on this hamster wheel for 20 more years and the more I prospect, the busier I will get (on evenings and weekends) and if I ever stop, so does the music.

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height: normal"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" style="">My main reservation is having
someone to answer to... but it's also kind of appealing. I've been an independent contractor for 15+
years.  I'm self motivated but have done best when I've been in a business
coaching program and have had friendly competition, neither of which I have
right now, though I could change positions in the industry and have it. 
My current position offers no pressure but no support. So that is also what
appeals to me about EJ.  Having targets I have to meet, coaching and
support.  I'm very coachable and I like Kool-Aid. But the pressure scares
me a little. 

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height: normal">For the green bloods - in general what are the worst things about EJ?  The things you wish you had known before?  There's always something.

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height: normal">I know, the rest of you will tell me to go fly a kite, but I appreciate the people that take the time to answer constructively.

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height: normal"><span style="font-family: "Times New Roman", serif;"><o:p style=""> </o:p></span>

I’ve been at EJ close to 10 yrs. The pressure isn’t really there like you’re thinking. If you work, you’ll be fine and rarely hear from anyone. The hurdles aren’t bad at all. I hear from no one and I’ll be out of that office 3-4 weeks each summer

This is the best JOB I’ve ever had. I’ll never have another for sure. You can make more than Doctors and attorneys IF YOU WORK and I think this is the best move I ever made. I think the top guys in this career have the best gig and I see it being this way another 20 years or so. I came from a career where I went to school 5 yrs and did an apprenticeship for another 3. A “true professional.” This last year I made just shy of 5x my best year in that old profession.....and it’s a highly respected field

JOB.....that’s where the downsides start with EJ. Most of these guys are business owners. I am not. If I could have all my clients intact tmw and have my own business, yes I would do that. I think I will at some point, but we can trade PMs if you want and that time is not now for me. I may never leave. I am overpaid for what I actually do and life is great. It’s pretty easy to not get fired, but these guys will tell you all my hard work can be taken away from me and they are right. I will say tho, there is no precedent or history for EJ changing territories, stripping you of clients, or firing anyone without cause. I do have a boss. Never met her, but we talked about 3x in two years. I have 3-4 messages a month where I explain (further document) my actions through messages. I have a couple of meetings a year where I am highly encouraged to attend. I come and go as I please. That’s pretty much it.

Compared to other “jobs,” it’s great and will feel like the most relaxed structure you have ever worked in. Compared to other businesses you own, it would feel restrictive. My two cents and the jokes can pile on.

Most of these guys just wish they could come back

Edited by bc2051 - Jul/01/2019 at 10:57am
blueorange View Drop Down
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueorange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2019 at 1:25pm

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height: normal"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" style="">My main reservation is having
someone to answer to... but it's also kind of appealing. I've been an independent contractor for 15+
me a little. 

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height: normal">For the green bloods - in general what are the worst things about EJ?  The things you wish you had known before?  There's always something.

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height: normal">I know, the rest of you will tell me to go fly a kite, but I appreciate the people that take the time to answer constructively.

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height: normal"><span style="font-family: "Times New Roman", serif;"><o:p style=""> </o:p></span>

I’ve been at EJ close to 10 yrs. The pressure isn’t really there like you’re thinking. If you work, you’ll be fine and rarely hear from anyone. The hurdles aren’t bad at all. I hear from no one and I’ll be out of that office 3-4 weeks each summer

This is the best JOB I’ve ever had. I’ll never have another for sure. You can make more than Doctors and attorneys IF YOU WORK and I think this is the best move I ever made. I think the top guys in this career have the best gig and I see it being this way another 20 years or so. I came from a career where I went to school 5 yrs and did an apprenticeship for another 3. A “true professional.” This last year I made just shy of 5x my best year in that old profession.....and it’s a highly respected field

JOB.....that’s where the downsides start with EJ. Most of these guys are business owners. I am not. If I could have all my clients intact tmw and have my own business, yes I would do that. I think I will at some point, but we can trade PMs if you want and that time is not now for me. I may never leave. I am overpaid for what I actually do and life is great. It’s pretty easy to not get fired, but these guys will tell you all my hard work can be taken away from me and they are right. I will say tho, there is no precedent or history for EJ changing territories, stripping you of clients, or firing anyone without cause. I do have a boss. Never met her, but we talked about 3x in two years. I have 3-4 messages a month where I explain (further document) my actions through messages. I have a couple of meetings a year where I am highly encouraged to attend. I come and go as I please. That’s pretty much it.

Compared to other “jobs,” it’s great and will feel like the most relaxed structure you have ever worked in. Compared to other businesses you own, it would feel restrictive. My two cents and the jokes can pile on.

Thanks bc, that is really helpful to hear!  Next step... a day in the life!
Nathan Explosion View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Explosion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2019 at 2:52pm

me a little. 

I will echo BC exactly.  If you want to be pure business owner maybe look to go in a junior role where you can split off under an older indy....but for me don't want all the responsibility of that side and i can do whatever I really want and no one asked questions.  
Spaceman Spiff View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaceman Spiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2019 at 3:56pm
I will also echo what BC said.  The thing you need to understand about these guys talking smack about Jones around here is that they may have been with Jones before, but it hasn't been for 10 years or more.  It's nowhere near the company they left.   

I'm a couple years away from hitting 25 years with Jones.  Like BC said, I'm way overpaid for the work I actually do.  We may not have all the bells and whistles that some of the other brokerage firms do, but you're not going to find an easier B/D to work with. 
MrAvoidance View Drop Down
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrAvoidance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2019 at 4:27pm
I’m newer at Jones. Support is great. You can choose to an extent how much accountability and micromanaging you want. There isn’t a better place for a new person to start. I don’t think many here would disagree with that.

Linescreamer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linescreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2019 at 4:34pm
Do they have good investment product and an open architecture?  What happens if you want to leave?
advisorman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote advisorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2019 at 5:40pm
No. They own your book.
King of sarcasm and speling
missionshooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missionshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2019 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by Linescreamer Linescreamer wrote:

Do they have good investment product and an open architecture?  What happens if you want to leave?

If you try to leave they hunt down your hottest daughter and fuck her.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2019 at 7:12pm
I was waiting for you guys to ruin our EJ circle jerk 😂
Linescreamer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linescreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2019 at 9:23pm
What if I don't have a daughter?
Would my wife be satisfactory?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2019 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Linescreamer Linescreamer wrote:

What if I don't have a daughter?
Would my wife be satisfactory?

Post a pic and we’ll let you know
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic