Advisorheads Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Introductions > Greenhorn Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Considering Career Switch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2019 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Fitness1983 Fitness1983 wrote:

Non soliciting neighborhoods are one thing but if a whole town or county has a law against door to door solicitation, that’s another matter. I imagine you could it for a bit and if the cops get called just tell them you didn’t know but not sure I’d do it. To each their own.

Oh yeah. Different story
Fitness1983 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitness1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2019 at 8:34pm
But to your point, I usually knock doors that have the no soliciting sticker on their doors. No real bad experiences yet.
advisorman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote advisorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2019 at 12:29pm
You say you are never soliciting but handing out cards and advertising with a personal touch.
King of sarcasm and speling
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2019 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by advisorman advisorman wrote:

You say you are never soliciting but handing out cards and advertising with a personal touch.

I always said something like this when I get the one prick in the no soliciting neighborhood. Goes over like a lead balloon 😂

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitness1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2019 at 7:04pm
Yeah it’s not about whether the residents think you’re soliciting it’s about law enforcement. I d had the cops called on me twice over three years. If you don’t have your licenses up to date and aren’t following local regulations, they can make your life difficult. At least in my area.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitness1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2019 at 7:05pm

Handing out anything equals solicitation.
blueorange View Drop Down
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueorange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2019 at 11:13am

Can you still DK and introduce yourself without handing a card and it not be considered solicitation?  I know in my area we have to get a soliciting permit from the county, but I don't know any more than that.  The FAs I have talked to in my area have had very good luck with DKs, they are also female, as am I.  I don't know if that helps or hurts, I'm sure both, depending on the person you are dealing with.

So I passed the day in the life and got an offer.... any more words of wisdom from you current and former Jonesers?  Anything else I should know before I commit?  

Husband thinks I'm a little insane - he's a super introvert and visibly shivers at the thought of doorknocking.  And despite what I have told him from talking to EJ FAs and reading this forum, he does not believe that anyone would hand over their money to someone knocking on the door.  So while he supports me, literally and figuratively, he's not like, "go do it, sounds awesome!"   

The thought of DKing doesn't bother me, though I am not a great conversationalist.  I am good with people, and I am good at establishing trust, but I am private and I don't pry into people's lives, which seems to be what I need to be doing every day for the rest of my life in this job!  

ClarenceBeeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClarenceBeeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2019 at 12:58pm
It’s a numbers game. Doesn’t matter if you’re an introvert, extrovert, male, female, brown, white, or orange.

Congratulations on your offer.
Good luck and good selling.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitness1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2019 at 1:00pm
The laws of every place will be different. As suggested earlier, hop online, make a few phone calls and go from there.

In my experience what you say on the doorstep is less important in the beginning than actually just getting on the doorstep consistently. You’ll develop your own style soon enough.

Buy Nick Murray’s book Game do Numbers, keep an open mind, and remember not to project how you, your husband, or anyone else “would react” to be being doorknocked onto the people who you’ll actually be engaging with.

Do more, think less. I pretty much say that to myself 100 times a day when knocking. It’s always gonna be too hot, too cold, too early, too late, or too whatever the fuck if you allow yourself to entertain those kinds of things.

Oh, and I wouldn’t think about your activities in the context of “what I’ll be doing everyday for the rest of my life.” That’s just your mind creating undue pressure and expectations. Ultimately an avoidance behavior. Work on each days tasks, complete them, go home kiss your family, and let the next day come to you. The sooner you give up the illusion that you can control 90% of your activities outcomes and accept that all you can control is how you act and react, the less psychological burden you’ll bear.

Good luck with the studying

Edited by Fitness1983 - Jul/13/2019 at 1:06pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2019 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by blueorange blueorange wrote:

Can you still DK and introduce yourself without handing a card and it not be considered solicitation?  I know in my area we have to get a soliciting permit from the county, but I don't know any more than that.  The FAs I have talked to in my area have had very good luck with DKs, they are also female, as am I.  I don't know if that helps or hurts, I'm sure both, depending on the person you are dealing with.

So I passed the day in the life and got an offer.... any more words of wisdom from you current and former Jonesers?  Anything else I should know before I commit?  

Husband thinks I'm a little insane - he's a super introvert and visibly shivers at the thought of doorknocking.  And despite what I have told him from talking to EJ FAs and reading this forum, he does not believe that anyone would hand over their money to someone knocking on the door.  So while he supports me, literally and figuratively, he's not like, "go do it, sounds awesome!"   

The thought of DKing doesn't bother me, though I am not a great conversationalist.  I am good with people, and I am good at establishing trust, but I am private and I don't pry into people's lives, which seems to be what I need to be doing every day for the rest of my life in this job!  

It helps a ton....at least here. Lol.

Btw I’m an introvert as well, but I’ve adapted
Iamlegend View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iamlegend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2019 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by bc2051 bc2051 wrote:

It helps a ton....at least here. Lol.

Btw I’m an introvert as well, but I’ve adapted

BC is a lady??

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitness1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2019 at 9:16pm
I think a re-read is in order bruh
Iamlegend View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iamlegend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2019 at 9:45pm

I think a re-read is in order bruh

I know Blue/Orange is a lady. And maybe a Gator fan.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2019 at 12:55am
Not sure how you figured it out IAL especially from this post, but yes, I’ve had you fooled all this time
ClarenceBeeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClarenceBeeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2019 at 2:06am
And I’m a man, just came out of the closet. Kinda ashamed; oh yes, a white male. Cuff me.
Good luck and good selling.
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueorange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2019 at 9:39am
  Thanks to all of you for the input and advice.  And the positive words.  I know a lot of people fail at this, but that's the same with the other industries I have been in.  I have a bunch of Nick Murray and other books on the way.

Studying question - did you EJ people study in the office or at home?  I forgot to ask what the expectation is there.  I know some of you didn't even start with an office.  I'm not sure what my setup will be yet but I think the FA who recruited me will be hosting me.  I would prefer to study at home.  Do they track your studying through online modules?  I would assume so.  Is the base pay tied to the hours you spend studying?   Just curious.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fitness1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2019 at 10:10am
I wouldn’t recommend studying at home but that’s just me, especially if you have kids.

Home is too comfortable, too many distractions.

While studying you’ll manually log hours worked via an electronic time sheet. Honor system kinda thing.

Modules, practice tests, quizzes, and conference calls will all monitor your progress and participation.

Take the testing process as seriously as anything you have yet in your working life. Some of these guys will say anyone with a pulse can pass the Exams but it’s a difficult process.
Hacksaw View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hacksaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2019 at 9:30am

Thanks to all of you for the input and advice.  And the positive words.  I know a lot of people fail at this, but that's the same with the other industries I have been in.  I have a bunch of Nick Murray and other books on the way.

Studying question - did you EJ people study in the office or at home?  I forgot to ask what the expectation is there.  I know some of you didn't even start with an office.  I'm not sure what my setup will be yet but I think the FA who recruited me will be hosting me.  I would prefer to study at home.  Do they track your studying through online modules?  I would assume so.  Is the base pay tied to the hours you spend studying?   Just curious.

Curious what other industries you've been in where 90% are out within 3 years.
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueorange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2019 at 10:36am
Real Estate and Mortgage Industries.  I don't know if I am technically correct, but the overwhelming majority go in thinking it will be much easier to make it than it is.  
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueorange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2019 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Hacksaw Hacksaw wrote:

Curious what other industries you've been in where 90% are out within 3 years.

Sorry, I forgot to quote/reply

Real Estate and Mortgage Industries.  I don't know if I am technically correct, but the overwhelming majority go in thinking it will be much easier to make it than it is.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic