Advisorheads Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Introductions > Greenhorn Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Howdy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coldjumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Howdy
    Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 12:45pm
Mid 20's and fully licensed. Currently working on my CFP even though I don't have the 3 years under my belt to call myself one. I'm currently at Jones, but the more I'm here the more I hate it. Maybe it's my fault for never drinking the green kool-aid, but I'm starting to chaff pretty hard at some of their internal stuff. I was about to graduate from their FACD program, but they've pushed back my graduation indefinitely. Not sure what my next step will be or what it will look like, but I'm hoping I get some guidance from y'all. 
luvindy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 12:53pm
In first!

I am back bitches!
8/31/12,Sportsfreak:
"If Barak wins this election, or appears to be clearly winning, we are all fucked. Market will tank big time."
Dow 13,090 S&P 1406
5/23/13 UC:Dow 20k before 20% crrectn Dow 15,
mindtech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mindtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 12:54pm
Welcome......... we've been expecting you....
Coldjumper View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coldjumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 12:56pm
You're welcome for the opportunity to come in first lol 
mindtech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mindtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by Coldjumper Coldjumper wrote:

You're welcome for the opportunity to come in first lol 

Don't mind luvindy, he is the main greeter of the website. He's finally back after being in the ICU and having that respirator removed. We sometimes wish the doctors would keep him sedated fully.
advisorman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote advisorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 1:04pm
How is jones raping, I mean chafing you internally?
King of sarcasm and speling
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coldjumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by advisorman advisorman wrote:

How is jones raping, I mean chafing you internally?

Pushing back my graduation and LYP date is a big one. It came totally out of the blue and totally unexpected. I'm fully licensed (thanks Jones) and I have an MBA so I'm worth more than the pittance they are paying me hourly. I could stomach it and look to the future when I had a date on the calendar for when I could start earning more, but pushing it back indefinitely and not giving anyone a straight answer when they ask how long this will be is extremely frustrating.

Outside of that it's the normal Jones complaints. I don't like the cult feel at all. They made my wife join a summer regional wives facebook group to help plan stuff. Listen, my wife has her own job and she doesn't want to be apart of this summer regional stuff. I don't appreciate the fact they keep pushing me to set up transactional accounts when the fee based accounts are what is actually best. I guess I'm realizing that the whole, "run YOUR business how YOU want" line I've been told over and over is a gigantic lie. 

I just don't really know where to go from here. I've been told to stick it out at Jones, I've been told to join a bank as their FA and use the book I'll create there to go independent in a few years, and I've been told to join RIA firms and work for them.  
missionshooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missionshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 2:03pm
So they are paying you a small salary (evidently didnt make dick before they hired you) to sit on your ass instead of hitting the pavement ?

So you are spending your spare time studying for the CFP???

Dude, STOP wasting your time and money on the CFP until you have 3 years under your belt!

You may fail out by then anyway and you dont want to have wasted that money on a worthless certification.

You need to learn how to prospect and bring in new business. The CFP will NOT teach you that.

I waited until year 5 to start that shit when I actually made it and had the disposable income to pay for the study materials and prep course.

You're welcome.    
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coldjumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 2:55pm
I appreciate the advice, but I'm not failing out. One way or another I'll make it work. I don't the route I'll take, but I'm getting there.

City is shutdown and under lock down, businesses are closed, and Jones has told us not to prospect and just deal with what we have for now. I've called all of my prospects multiple times and all that's left is cold calling folks at home, but i don't currently own a list. 

And I'm hourly at basically nothing. Jones doesn't pay you a salary until later down the road   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missionshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 3:00pm
BC, please give this man the place he can buy a call list .

Listshack or some shit like that??

Wow, that absolutely sucks you are paid like a fucking McDonalds worker, I figured the salary started day 1 of training.
knuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 3:03pm
Phone book is free
Insert signature here
B24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by knuk knuk wrote:

Phone book is free

Phone book?

Dude, this isn't Canada. We moved things to the Internet a few years back.
"If Bellicheat pulls that rabbit out of his a$$ with this kid at quarterback, I'll personally kiss his ring." - Sporsfreak, 09/20/16

"Jags/Vikes Super Bowl. Write it down" - Sportsfreak 01/19/18
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coldjumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 3:09pm
Nope, salary doesn't start until you attend LYP and they make you sign the 3 year contract. I've been making less than a manager at McDonald's since last fall when I was hired. Like I said, easier to stomach when there's an end in sight, but they've removed the end and haven't told us when we will get it back. 

So I've just been making the best of a bad situation by studying for the CFP. I got the study materials for basically free so not out anything there. 

Now I just need to figure out my next move. I've always planned on going fully independent, and I had thought Jones would give me the avenue to do that in a few years, but now I'm wondering if I should go work at a bank and build my book that way. That's why I'm here and looking for advice 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missionshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 3:14pm
You got kids ?
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coldjumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 3:17pm
No, not yet. Thinking about trying to have some in the future, but obviously will need to get this sorted out first

luvindy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 3:39pm
This new thread is a real barn burner.
8/31/12,Sportsfreak:
"If Barak wins this election, or appears to be clearly winning, we are all fucked. Market will tank big time."
Dow 13,090 S&P 1406
5/23/13 UC:Dow 20k before 20% crrectn Dow 15,
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 4:15pm

I appreciate the advice, but I'm not failing out. One way or another I'll make it work. I don't the route I'll take, but I'm getting there.

City is shutdown and under lock down, businesses are closed, and Jones has told us not to prospect and just deal with what we have for now. I've called all of my prospects multiple times and all that's left is cold calling folks at home, but i don't currently own a list. 

And I'm hourly at basically nothing. Jones doesn't pay you a salary until later down the road   

He gave you the right advice.  Get your ass on LinkedIn and prospect.  Buy a list.  Buy a corporate directory.  

You are completely wasting your time on the CFP right now.  
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 4:15pm
Call a wholesaler.  Make them get you some lists. 
Moraen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Resident Sage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moraen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 4:27pm

Gotta love the optimism.

I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all. - General James Mattis

Fiduciary as Fuck - iMo
mindtech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mindtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by B24 B24 wrote:

Originally posted by knuk knuk wrote:

Phone book is free

Phone book?

Dude, this isn't Canada. We moved things to the Internet a few years back.

Here in Canada, we're still using Compuserv. I'm still waiting for the arrival of ISDN lines....

And besides, the do not call list here is hilarious.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic