Advisorheads Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Introductions > Greenhorn Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hello

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote million$orbust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello
    Posted: May/30/2011 at 6:23pm
Just making my introduction in hopes of making it in the business of dreams.
Iamlegend View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iamlegend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2011 at 6:31pm
Where are you trying to make it?  How long in the biz?
Welcome
million$orbust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote million$orbust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2011 at 6:48pm
I am brand new in the business. I was a bill collector for years and finally decided to stop chasing poor people for money and use my energy to start chasing people with more moneyWink. I am on the East coast. I have no kids, no wife and 24 hours of free time to dedicate to this business. I am hoping to become successful, (at least 100K in income) doing it the ethical and fastest way
Iamlegend View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iamlegend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2011 at 6:59pm
You can be at 100k income in 3-5 years.
Ron 14 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Licensed Teller

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron 14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2011 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by million$orbust million$orbust wrote:

I am brand new in the business. I was a bill collector for years and finally decided to stop chasing poor people for money and use my energy to start chasing people with more moneyWink. I am on the East coast. I have no kids, no wife and 24 hours of free time to dedicate to this business. I am hoping to become successful, (at least 100K in income) doing it the ethical and fastest way

It doesn't matter what you do. Start at a wire, take your 50k salary and wrap money until they fire you. Then go Indy.
BigFirepower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigFirepower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2011 at 10:48pm
$$$, how old are you?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigFirepower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2011 at 10:49pm
OH, and welcome aboard. I'm the shy and quiet guy of the board.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote million$orbust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 9:08am
I am 31. Young enough to go all in but old enough to look like I know what I am doing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigFirepower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 11:40am
Yes, you are at an age that covers both sides. I'd actually say you might be 2-3 yrs too old, unless you are a good master of finances. The trouble of getting into this business is that most people have a lifestyle in the mid 30s, that can't handle making low wages for several years.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote million$orbust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 11:56am
I have been in collections most of my life and have never made over 45K in a year. I have no kids, no wife, with a little amount of bills and most importantly no debt. From what I am getting, low wages for the people on this board is probaly more then I have ever made sadly. This is why I want to take this opprotunity and run with it.
Ron 14 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Licensed Teller

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron 14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 12:04pm
Million you are in a great spot. Go get it!
Thanasi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thanasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2011 at 6:25pm
welcome and good luck
rdahl52 View Drop Down
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdahl52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2011 at 8:25pm
Million, I too was in the collections industry for 8 years prior to getting into the advisory business over 5 years ago.  In reality it is a very similiar task, getting people to do things they normally wouldn't do without some prodding.

Also it has a lot to do with how well you can communicate to people.  In collections it is via the phone.  When I started I was very uncomfortable with talking in front of groups of people.  AKA "Lunch and Learn" at AMP.  But, on the phone the person I was calling had no idea how long I had or had not been in the business, and once I could get them in the office for a one on one appointment, I could communicate my value proposition.

The sad truth of the world we live in is that it is easier to get someone to pay a past due bill to avoid litigation, but getting them to save for their own future is another story.  I tell that story to people today to put things into perspective.  Especially when it is people who have very good incomes, but waste it on lots of stuff instead of setting some asside to pay themselves later.

Good luck with getting started, I can certainly understand the change in environment you are going through today.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote million$orbust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2011 at 8:35pm
Rdahl52- Thank you for sharing your story with me.
So how long did it take you before you caught on and felt comfortable with talking finance. I have a limited background in this area and know it is something I will most certainly have to improve on. What did you do to gain this understanding and knowledge of finance? Are you with a wire?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote million$orbust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2011 at 3:08pm
Thanks all
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic