Advisorheads Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Introductions > Greenhorn Introductions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I'm new here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I'm new here

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message
NachoDynamite View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: Jul/09/2019
Status: Offline
Points: 14
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NachoDynamite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm new here
    Posted: Jul/09/2019 at 5:54pm
Sorry [U=Wet_Blanket] for my private message.  I figured it out.  Pinch 

I'm with LPL, have been for a couple years. 
I started with Northwestern, then MassMutual, then to LPL.  So, I spent plenty of time waking up everyday wondering where my next life insurance sale would come from. Man, was that a nightmare.  A number of years MDRT. 

Top 5% of LPL firms in AUM (this is a smaller number than you'd imagine).  Top 2% of firms within LPL in AUM looking at just fee based business.  

I folded my father's practice into mine recently.  So, I can speak to all that.  

I'm on the corporate LPL side (vs hybrid), but I do use an OSJ within LPL. They bring decent value to the table. I utilize a team within my OSJ too manage / implement our fee based portfolios.  

I like LPL and my OSJ. They've been a good fit and I'm hoping to be here for life.  Only time will tell... 

My entire team is virtual.  I'm in SoCal, my assistant is in NorCal.  My team that manages our portfolios is also in NorCal.  None of my clients would know that this is the case if I didn't tell them.  They think we all work in the same office.  That is, until I tell them.  I see all my clients face to face once per year, every other interaction is virtual.  I've been doing this for at least 5 years, probably closer to 6. 

EDIT: Thought it might be good to state: 
- I'm a regular user of eMoney. I use it for planning and give all my clients access, though only a small percentage uses it regularly.  
- I'm a regular user of Riskalyze. We use it as a team to build portfolios for clients.  I then use it to help clients understand their level of risk and discuss portfolio differences.  
- I build mindmaps for all my clients. I got the idea from CEG Worldwide about 5 years back and have been doing it ever since. 



Edited by NachoDynamite - Jul/10/2019 at 1:25am
Yep, that about does it.
Back to Top
NachoDynamite View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: Jul/09/2019
Status: Offline
Points: 14
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NachoDynamite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2019 at 6:06pm
But I obviously can't figure out how to link to another user...  
Yep, that about does it.
Back to Top
ClarenceBeeks View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: Aug/31/2011
Status: Offline
Points: 2372
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ClarenceBeeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2019 at 6:31pm
Welcome! It’s a great forum of FAs here.
Good luck and good selling.
Back to Top
bc2051 View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: Jun/19/2013
Status: Offline
Points: 7738
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bc2051 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2019 at 9:44pm
Nacho - welcome.

You’re putting a lot out there. Not sure if you care, but I would think it might be easy to identify you....especially with your post in the bni thread, but I don’t care if you don’t
Back to Top
Indyone View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: Mar/10/2010
Location: Rural Midwest
Status: Offline
Points: 3625
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Indyone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2019 at 10:35pm
Welcome, Nacho...and glad you like your B/D.  I started with them in 2005 and bailed in late 2014.  They were a poor fit for me...mostly from a service standpoint.

...but hey, there's someone for everyone...
"Independence is like the Berlin Wall. People are only jumping in one direction." - Philip Palaveev - November 2005. "You are never free...unless you are independent..." - Indyone - May 2005.
Back to Top
missionshooter View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: Feb/12/2014
Status: Offline
Points: 2718
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missionshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2019 at 10:50pm
Insurance guys and edj shitheads all migrate to lpl.
Back to Top
NachoDynamite View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: Jul/09/2019
Status: Offline
Points: 14
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NachoDynamite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2019 at 1:17am
Originally posted by missionshooter missionshooter wrote:

Insurance guys and edj shitheads all migrate to lpl.
 
Sounds like I'm in a good group.  
Yep, that about does it.
Back to Top
NachoDynamite View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: Jul/09/2019
Status: Offline
Points: 14
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NachoDynamite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2019 at 1:20am
Originally posted by bc2051 bc2051 wrote:

Nacho - welcome.

You’re putting a lot out there. Not sure if you care, but I would think it might be easy to identify you....especially with your post in the bni thread, but I don’t care if you don’t
 

I'm not worried about it. The BNI thread stuff I posted was from 10 years ago.  If it helps someone, I'm OK with that. 
Yep, that about does it.
Back to Top
Linescreamer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: Jun/20/2019
Status: Offline
Points: 61
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linescreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2019 at 11:46am
Thanks for the background
Back to Top
luvindy View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: May/17/2010
Status: Offline
Points: 16707
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2019 at 11:48am
Tell us how it is to get handed a career from your dad. That must be a great thing.
8/31/12,Sportsfreak:
"If Barak wins this election, or appears to be clearly winning, we are all fucked. Market will tank big time."
Dow 13,090 S&P 1406
5/23/13 UC:Dow 20k before 20% crrectn Dow 15,322
Back to Top
Moraen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar
Batman

Joined: Mar/09/2010
Status: Offline
Points: 16601
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moraen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2019 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by NachoDynamite NachoDynamite wrote:

Sorry [U=Wet_Blanket] for my private message.  I figured it out.  Pinch 

I'm with LPL, have been for a couple years. 
I started with Northwestern, then MassMutual, then to LPL.  So, I spent plenty of time waking up everyday wondering where my next life insurance sale would come from. Man, was that a nightmare.  A number of years MDRT. 

Top 5% of LPL firms in AUM (this is a smaller number than you'd imagine).  Top 2% of firms within LPL in AUM looking at just fee based business.  

I folded my father's practice into mine recently.  So, I can speak to all that.  

I'm on the corporate LPL side (vs hybrid), but I do use an OSJ within LPL. They bring decent value to the table. I utilize a team within my OSJ too manage / implement our fee based portfolios.  

I like LPL and my OSJ. They've been a good fit and I'm hoping to be here for life.  Only time will tell... 

My entire team is virtual.  I'm in SoCal, my assistant is in NorCal.  My team that manages our portfolios is also in NorCal.  None of my clients would know that this is the case if I didn't tell them.  They think we all work in the same office.  That is, until I tell them.  I see all my clients face to face once per year, every other interaction is virtual.  I've been doing this for at least 5 years, probably closer to 6. 

EDIT: Thought it might be good to state: 
- I'm a regular user of eMoney. I use it for planning and give all my clients access, though only a small percentage uses it regularly.  
- I'm a regular user of Riskalyze. We use it as a team to build portfolios for clients.  I then use it to help clients understand their level of risk and discuss portfolio differences.  
- I build mindmaps for all my clients. I got the idea from CEG Worldwide about 5 years back and have been doing it ever since. 


Welcome.

Too bad Riskalyze doesn't really help clients understand their individual level of risk.
I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all. - General James Mattis

Fiduciary as Fuck - iMo
Back to Top
advisorman View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: Oct/22/2011
Location: somewhere
Status: Offline
Points: 2494
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote advisorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2019 at 3:32pm
Mindmaps?? Is that some psychic stuff? 😆
King of sarcasm and speling
Back to Top
NachoDynamite View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: Jul/09/2019
Status: Offline
Points: 14
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NachoDynamite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2019 at 6:23pm
Riskalyze is a great visualization tool.  A launching pad for discussion about what's in their portfolio and whether it's a volatile security or a conservative one.  Open to whatever tool others are using to do this.  

Mindmaps and CEG.  If you're not familiar you can get a taste of both here: 
http://www.cegworldwide.com/resources/videos/067-bp-genius-of-mind-mapping 
Jump to about 4 minutes to get a feel for what they are recommending with mindmaps. I use Mindjet to build each mindmap.  Clients love seeing all their financial moving parts on one page.  I see it as a "living fact-finder.  A document that we add upon each time we meet with them.  
Yep, that about does it.
Back to Top
Moraen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar
Batman

Joined: Mar/09/2010
Status: Offline
Points: 16601
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moraen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2019 at 9:14am
Originally posted by NachoDynamite NachoDynamite wrote:

Riskalyze is a great visualization tool.  A launching pad for discussion about what's in their portfolio and whether it's a volatile security or a conservative one.  Open to whatever tool others are using to do this. 

Fair enough. I disagree about the visualization part though. There is not a product out right now that does a good job of explaining tail risk.  It's easy to show people the long term game on easy financial models.

Mindmaps and CEG.  If you're not familiar you can get a taste of both here: 
http://www.cegworldwide.com/resources/videos/067-bp-genius-of-mind-mapping 
Jump to about 4 minutes to get a feel for what they are recommending with mindmaps. I use Mindjet to build each mindmap.  Clients love seeing all their financial moving parts on one page.  I see it as a "living fact-finder.  A document that we add upon each time we meet with them.  

Interesting about the mindmaps though.
I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all. - General James Mattis

Fiduciary as Fuck - iMo
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.04
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.063 seconds.