Advisorheads Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Introductions > Greenhorn Introductions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Introduction
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Introduction

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message
txchris89 View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie


Joined: Feb/24/2017
Status: Offline
Points: 5
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txchris89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Introduction
    Posted: Feb/24/2017 at 11:56pm
I am a new financial advisor that has just entered the business. I have attained my series 7, 66, and life, accident and health insurance registrations thus far. I will begin building my book of business over the next several weeks and I am really looking forward to getting started. I know the next couple of years are going to be a tough road to building a successful practice, but I am dedicated to making this a successful long term career. 

My background is in non profit management where I served in various sales, marketing, and leadership capacities. 

I look forward to meeting other forum members. 
Back to Top
Iamlegend View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: Mar/09/2010
Status: Offline
Points: 15713
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iamlegend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2017 at 12:18am
Welcome
Back to Top
Fitness1983 View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: Mar/06/2016
Status: Offline
Points: 670
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitness1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2017 at 12:52am
Welcome.

Who do you work for. How will you be building your book primarily?

What is the extent of your sales experience?

What is your single biggest reservation about this new career?
Back to Top
mozkural View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: Feb/25/2017
Location: NYC
Status: Offline
Points: 36
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mozkural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2017 at 2:43am
I used to work at AXA Advisors for 2 years. Built book on cold calling, linkedin, networking etc.I was a a broker before that while still in college. So I got my licensed in college and started my career from there.

I have my 7, 63, 65, and NY Health and Life Insurance.

I work as a Regional Consultant at AllianceBernstern (AB) in Manhattan. Been doing since November of 2017.

I cover my external partner who is out in the field in Philadelphia, Rural Eastern PA, Parts of NJ, and Delaware.  We cover some banks and independents, but focus on Wires, and RIA's with my primary focus (and reason for recent promotion) is specialty towards building relationships and distributing our funds and managed accounts with RIA's.

Will eventually get my MBA, and CFA. No time table as of yet, want get completely settled in first.

Could one day go back to being an advisor down the road, who knows.

ALSO: Have a great source of leads 4500 C-level Executives names, direct number, email, firm name, office location, position,style weighting, if they are buy or sell side...etc) 

Contact me if interested as I don't have a use for it anymore.
Back to Top
PEACH_cm View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: Jan/16/2013
Status: Offline
Points: 2975
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PEACH_cm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2017 at 7:33am
Originally posted by mozkural mozkural wrote:

I used to work at AXA Advisors for 2 years. Built book on cold calling, linkedin, networking etc.I was a a broker before that while still in college. So I got my licensed in college and started my career from there.

I have my 7, 63, 65, and NY Health and Life Insurance.

I work as a Regional Consultant at AllianceBernstern (AB) in Manhattan. Been doing since November of 2017.

I cover my external partner who is out in the field in Philadelphia, Rural Eastern PA, Parts of NJ, and Delaware.  We cover some banks and independents, but focus on Wires, and RIA's with my primary focus (and reason for recent promotion) is specialty towards building relationships and distributing our funds and managed accounts with RIA's.

Will eventually get my MBA, and CFA. No time table as of yet, want get completely settled in first.

Could one day go back to being an advisor down the road, who knows.

ALSO: Have a great source of leads 4500 C-level Executives names, direct number, email, firm name, office location, position,style weighting, if they are buy or sell side...etc) 

Contact me if interested as I don't have a use for it anymore.
clearly the list did wonders for you...
Back to Top
mozkural View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: Feb/25/2017
Location: NYC
Status: Offline
Points: 36
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mozkural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2017 at 7:40am
$9 million in 1 year in aum as a 22 year old at a company that primarily sells insurance... i wouldn't say is terrible.  Not to mention it got me a foot in the door of the industry I would truly like to be in, which is institutional sales, which would have never been offered to me straight out of college.

But this list did help me to afford to live in Manhattan at 22, so I wouldn't necessarily say wonders but now that I think about it...thanks for the compliment.
Back to Top
anonymous View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: Oct/26/2010
Status: Offline
Points: 3687
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anonymous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2017 at 8:20am
Originally posted by mozkural mozkural wrote:

$9 million in 1 year in aum as a 22 year old at a company that primarily sells insurance... i wouldn't say is terrible.  Not to mention it got me a foot in the door of the industry I would truly like to be in, which is institutional sales, which would have never been offered to me straight out of college.

But this list did help me to afford to live in Manhattan at 22, so I wouldn't necessarily say wonders but now that I think about it...thanks for the compliment.


You brought in $9 million in your first year and moved to an internal wholesaler position? Something doesn't add up
"Just do shit. It doesnt matter what as long as it gets you and your name in front of people" - Sportsfreak
Back to Top
mozkural View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: Feb/25/2017
Location: NYC
Status: Offline
Points: 36
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mozkural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2017 at 8:28am
Original plan was always to move to into a position I could learn and grow more. Plus I got tired of being around a group of people forcing life insurance to people as "investment" who don't need it. Being an advisor is a career I would love some day as to manage a book of existing clients.  But 1. I want to gain as much industry knowledge as I can before I do, while I'm young and not to mention getting paid for it, and 2. not be forced to jam products down peoples throats.  

Thats not what I got into the business for.
Back to Top
mozkural View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: Feb/25/2017
Location: NYC
Status: Offline
Points: 36
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mozkural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2017 at 8:29am
Also, in all seriousness, love that quote.  Never heard it before 
Back to Top
Fitness1983 View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: Mar/06/2016
Status: Offline
Points: 670
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitness1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2017 at 11:46am
This thread is too confusing for me
Back to Top
txchris89 View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie


Joined: Feb/24/2017
Status: Offline
Points: 5
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txchris89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2017 at 7:39pm
FITNESS 1983: Thanks for the questions!

I work for Edward Jones. So Face to Face contacts (aka door knocking) is primary way of sourcing business, but in addition I will be utilizing some professional networking groups, speaking engagements, and utilizing other groups I belong to such as tennis league, golf groups, and some hunting/conservation groups I belong to. 

I finished my MBA in August of 2011 and I have 3 years of sales experience and 2 years in management. My Sales background consisted of leading trade show events for three years, giving seminars, and an extensive amount of travel leading fundraising events for a non profit organization.


My biggest reservation...I don't have any reservations at this point. I have committed to making this career change as I left a decent job for the opportunity to build a long term career. I will do whatever I have to do to build a successful book of business. If that means knocking on 200+ door a day to get my contacts so I can book enough appointments each week/month, thats what I will do. I am ready to put in 70+hrs a week to build my business because I know thats what it takes to be successful with the jones model. 

Any tips on things that helped you be successful? or what activities yielded the most success for you. 

On a side note, not sure why someone else decided to post their background here....go make your own thread!!!!
Back to Top
txchris89 View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie


Joined: Feb/24/2017
Status: Offline
Points: 5
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txchris89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2017 at 7:41pm
@MOZKURAL 

Go make your own thread
Back to Top
bc2051 View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: Jun/19/2013
Status: Offline
Points: 6203
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bc2051 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2017 at 8:01pm
Yeah that's what is confusing. That's usually what sales people do when they come to hijack and sell to us, but this guy swears he's an internal now.....even tho he brought in 9 mil in yr 1 which is respectable for a vet and he's pushing this list a little too hard
Back to Top
bc2051 View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: Jun/19/2013
Status: Offline
Points: 6203
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bc2051 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2017 at 8:04pm
Not to mention the list is for people most of us wouldn't prospect and he started the internal position in Nov 2017

Edited by bc2051 - Feb/26/2017 at 8:06pm
Back to Top
txchris89 View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie


Joined: Feb/24/2017
Status: Offline
Points: 5
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txchris89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2017 at 8:14pm
Yep, MOZKURAL is just soliciting his book of business, which is bizarre to do in an introductions thread. Not to mention the errors in his thread. 

Anyways, I would love to get some real feedback from others. 
Back to Top
antonuus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: Jan/19/2017
Location: Wilen
Status: Offline
Points: 72
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antonuus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2017 at 5:15am
Welcome to the this forum. I can't give much feedback on insurance, as I do not sell any. Thus far, all I can tell you boils down not to lose faith in your success and it will come. Sales, as you probably know are not a cake walk. Good luck to you and keep in touch.
JH
Back to Top
Hacksaw View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: Mar/27/2010
Status: Offline
Points: 4712
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hacksaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2017 at 10:07am
Originally posted by txchris89 txchris89 wrote:

FITNESS 1983: Thanks for the questions!

I work for Edward Jones. So Face to Face contacts (aka door knocking) is primary way of sourcing business, but in addition I will be utilizing some professional networking groups, speaking engagements, and utilizing other groups I belong to such as tennis league, golf groups, and some hunting/conservation groups I belong to. 

I finished my MBA in August of 2011 and I have 3 years of sales experience and 2 years in management. My Sales background consisted of leading trade show events for three years, giving seminars, and an extensive amount of travel leading fundraising events for a non profit organization.


My biggest reservation...I don't have any reservations at this point. I have committed to making this career change as I left a decent job for the opportunity to build a long term career. I will do whatever I have to do to build a successful book of business. If that means knocking on 200+ door a day to get my contacts so I can book enough appointments each week/month, thats what I will do. I am ready to put in 70+hrs a week to build my business because I know thats what it takes to be successful with the jones model. 

Any tips on things that helped you be successful? or what activities yielded the most success for you. 

On a side note, not sure why someone else decided to post their background here....go make your own thread!!!!

Go read the "500 day" thread started by Wolf.  Read what he's been doing - just meeting people constantly.  Do that, and you will make it.  Sounds super simple, but it's very difficult to have the drive to keep up the level of activity.
Back to Top
mozkural View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: Feb/25/2017
Location: NYC
Status: Offline
Points: 36
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mozkural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2017 at 12:35am
Thanks for all the shout outs guys! Really appreciate being recognized. Any specific questions you have about me, background, intentions for offering a list on an intro thread, or whatever, please feel free to message me.

Love to keep the dialogue going and hear all of your insights! Looking to learn as much as I can. Any advice/constructive critcisim would be greatly appreciated

Have a good rest of the week folks!

Back to Top
mozkural View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: Feb/25/2017
Location: NYC
Status: Offline
Points: 36
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mozkural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2017 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by bc2051 bc2051 wrote:

Yeah that's what is confusing. That's usually what sales people do when they come to hijack and sell to us, but this guy swears he's an internal now.....even tho he brought in 9 mil in yr 1 which is respectable for a vet and he's pushing this list a little too hard

9 mil for is respectable for a vet? must be a pretty broke vet (broke for NYC anyway).  Charging, on average, 1% management fee, subtracting fee's I had to pay to my company, and clearing firm which was LPL in my case. I am proud of what I did, but I needed to sell a ton of other stuff to maintain at least the lifestyle I want to live.  

Since we are all in finance, I am assuming I am not the only one who requires a significantly higher income then average.  I'd go as far to say that its the main reason I got into finance to begin with.  As for what I do now, I love my company (really love the comp structure).  I'm not pushing my list, I merely putting it out there that I have a list I feel would be worth at least a look, which I'd be happy to show you.
Back to Top
bc2051 View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: Jun/19/2013
Status: Offline
Points: 6203
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bc2051 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2017 at 10:34pm
I think 9 is pretty good. It's great for first year. Not sure if there has ever been a poll for assets gathered in the last 12 mos, but it would be interesting
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.04
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.109 seconds.